Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Singing Chicago Coyote

• abloss by abloss

This video was taken on Jan. 27 (not by me). The Luciano Pavarotti of the coyote world!

http://youtu.be/KQqOn3pEK1k

Posted

• abloss by abloss

After looking at how she peed, I would guess she should be Mirella Freni rather than Luciano Pavarotti!

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye in response to abloss's comment.

Wow, she's a beauty! And what a voice! Hmm, the coyote sounds younger than Mirella Freni/Luciano Pavarotti, more like Katherine Jenkins, maybe 😃 The guy's dogs are very well disciplined, my dog would have woofed louder than the coyote 😛

Questions: Why is she calling out? Is it a warning or a call for back-up from other pack members?

Finally, there is a wolf in Africa 😃 The Golden Jackal is now regarded as a new species of wolf.

Then there is the Black-backed jackal (Canis mesomelas) and you can hear its call on the website. It's maybe just my imagination, but it sounds as if there is perhaps a little bit of similarity between the coyote and jackal's calls?

Posted

• abloss by abloss

I don't know coyote psychology; another possibility is that the coyote was claiming her territory against the dogs that were being walked here. She howls, and then looks directly at the camera, where the dogs are. That might also explain her marking her territory (peeing at least twice).

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Hi Alex 😃 LOL coyote psycology. This is probably a stupid question but do female coyotes normally mark territories? I thought it was a "guy" sort of thing? Is she an Alpha female?

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Good point. Like I said, I don't know coyote psychology. Or maybe she was inviting the dogs over??

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

Some interesting discussions of : Coyote Behavior

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Thanks @gardenmaeve 😃 I enjoyed reading about the behaviour of coyotes and understand the female's response in the video better 😃

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye in response to abloss's comment.

Hey Alex 😃 I've been looking too much at the video and now I've discovered something! It looks like in the first instance, Miss Coyote is doing a no 2 (haha and not a no 1) and in the 2nd instance she's doing a no 1. So it looks like the park is the Coyote Ladies Toilet/Bathroom ensuite 😉

I found the following on Youtube regarding Coyote Playing with Food

and then check out these cute Black-backed Jackal puppies. Maybe sharing some similarity to coyote puppies playing? 😃

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Well, I'm not going to walk in THAT park! 😃

Posted