Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Unsure

• Patmurw15 by Patmurw15

Is there a canine to the right of the tree on the right? or am I imagining? I can "see" a whole herd of deer near a tree on the upper left but those I am positive are imagination. The canine - might be real...

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Hmm... I think you are right, a coyote with it's head towards the left?

Posted

• Patmurw15 by Patmurw15

Yes, head facing the left, just to the right of the vertical tree.

Posted

• AzureJay by AzureJay

That one caught me off guard once. I spent a half hour looking at photos before deciding it was just an illusion - albiet a very good one!

However, looking at daytime photos, I can't figure out what's causing it: ACH0007jx4

... a new thought. Is it possible this is a deer or other creature laying down with its back of the head to the camera? In a way the shape reminds me of resting deer we've seen in other photographs.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Could be yes. This photo is a perfect example of how difficult it can sometimes be to ID species from camera trap photos.

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator in response to AzureJay's comment.

interesting that the dead (?) tree is at a less vertical angle in ACH0007jx4 than it is in ACH0007jx6...same spot, but camera and maybe the tree have shifted quite a bit even though the image URLs are "close"

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator in response to AzureJay's comment.

Well, after some review, the phantom canid is there motionless in a whole series of images: ACH0007jx1, ACH0007jx2, ACH0007jx3, ACH0007jx5, ACH0007jx6, ACH0007jx7, ACH0007jx8, ACH0007jx9, ACH0007jxa through ACH0007jxg, ACH0007jxi, ACH0007jxj, ACH0007jxl, and so on....

The daytime shots in between seem to be the same spot, but there is a broken branch in the lower left, and the leaning tree is at a different angle.

Nothing seems to be moving, day or night, so I think this camera is stuck, snapping away at nothing.

It's almost as if the day and night shots were are two different memory cards, that just happened to be loaded into the system at the same time....

EDIT: bottom line: "nothing here".

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Also brettzrubin has pointed out an unusual reticulated pattern to the right of the leaning tree in ACH0007jdn and ACH0007jnp.

It may be just an unusual combination of fallen tree branches plus tall thin saplings, but I'm guessing we'll have lots of opportunities to look at it.

Posted