Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Helpful Research Hashtags?

• AzureJay by AzureJay

I saw a discussion on this in Wildcam Gorongosa - and thought it a good question to ask here too: What hashtags are the most helpful or useful to researchers here on the Chicago Watch project?

Are there any species or behavior that you find helpful to be tagged?

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Nothing especially comes to mind. Some behaviors that we tend to enjoy collecting include inquisitive deer who put their faces almost directly into the camera, as well as photos with multiple species. I know the curios deer have a collection but I am uncertain if they have their own hashtag. Perhaps it is time for them to have one?

Posted

• AzureJay by AzureJay

Curious deer are always adorable!

Oddly enough I've started collecting (but not tagging) tracks in the snow. Is that something that's ever been looked at in the research (studying pictures of tracks to determine what has passed through the area)?

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Sure, other researchers study tracks but the methods used are a little different (e.g. would not require camera traps). Before camera trapping became popular, setting up 'track stations' was a really common method to determine which species were in an area. It's not as popular now, but there are times when it can be useful. If an animal walks in front of the camera trap we already have evidence of its presence, so the tracks it leaves behind are more of just a memento. Additionally, we probably do not have the cameras set up in such a way to be able to reliably ID what the tracks are.

Posted

• AzureJay by AzureJay

That makes sense. Thank you for the insight!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I've been able to collect a decent sampling of curious deer just by looking through the #deer tag group. 😃

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

see also deer selfies

Posted