Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Dynamic maps for dynamic processes

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Static maps that illustrate where species are spatially distributed are useful, but they do not truly capture the fact that the observed richness in a habitat patch varies temporally.

Static maps are, after all, static.

Because species colonize new patches and go extinct in others, it would be better to have a map that actually accounts for this. While not very useful for publication, it's a pretty nifty way to show how species richness at our sites changes almost every season! Note that this map of species richness of mesocarnivores (coyote, raccoon, red fox, skunk, and opossum) is with our old data.

Where do you see species richness stay the same over time?

Where along the urban rural gradient do sites pop up with 5 species?

Here is a link to a larger version of the map.

enter image description here

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Cool plot - thanks for sharing!

A couple of minor comments (sorry, I know I shouldn't edit everything I see, but can't help it, it's my DNA) - colors 3 and 4 look about the same at this dot size, and one typo (predicited).

Posted

Thanks for the comments!

I totally would have missed out on 'predicited'

Posted

Typo fixed and symbols changed for sites with 4 and 5 mesocarnivores!

Link to larger version

enter image description here

Posted

• zorglax by zorglax

Cool map! Have you considered sharing it (and the source code) on r-bloggers.com? It's sure nice to look at.

Posted

I have thought about it, but decided against it. The map generation was the easy part in R using ggmap and gridExtra. The gif generation I did in the console with imagemagick. Also, I could not really share the lat long coordinates of all our camera traps!

Posted