Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

When were the photos taken?

• DZM by DZM admin

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I was curious after noticing the gorgeous coyote in the fall pic earlier...

http://talk.chicagowildlifewatch.org/#/subjects/ACH0000xno

It looks like it could have been taken just a couple of months ago, but, of course, it might have been three or four years ago, too! When were the shots taken?

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

These shots are currently from the Fall of 2013, there's a bit of catching up to do before we can post the most recent photos.

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

At the rate we're working through these, you'll fall further and further behind. Why not promote this to a full Zooinverse project? You'd get more participants.

Posted

• nancybohrer by nancybohrer

Promoting on facebook is not a bad idea. I was referred by Nature Conservancy in Illinois.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to escholzia's comment.

I'm actually pushing for this. Honestly, I could probably get their entire data load classified in a week just by sending an email to everyone who has participated in Snapshot Serengeti ("need another animal project to do while you wait for new SS data?").

But I think that this project was supposed to be a little more low-key with a focus on attracting Chicago locals.

Also, do you guys really want to run out of data so fast? 😃

It's up to the science team, though. I'm fairly sure (no promises) that I could call upon the awesome zooite horde and accelerate the classification rates if that's what they'd like!

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Yes, I can see there are pros and cons. Also, having just a few dedicated classifiers probably gives more consistency. I'm not local to Chicago (California) - I found this by poking around the Labs link. I wish there were a similar local wildlife project for my area - there are some awesome wildlife cameras for spotting mountain lions.

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Congratulations for hitting the big time (the Zooinverse front page)! I hope it works out for the researchers and isn't too much of a burden on them to answer questions.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

That wasn't even me! I don't know who added it there. Happy that they did, though!!

Posted

• llehrerlpzoo.org by llehrerlpzoo.org scientist

We are really excited about the wider promotion of the project! Thanks to everyone for participating!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

The numbers have exploded since we moved CWW to the main page. I had no idea that it would have such an effect!

Posted