Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Can any of the animals see the light from the night cam?

• jimfrog67 by jimfrog67

I know it isn't a regular camera flash (and am pretty sure it's infrared light), but I was wondering if any of the animals can see/sense that light. Sometimes they appear to be looking right at the camera as if they see the light, but that could just be happenstance.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Chances are it is just happenstance. However, when the infrared goes off there is a small red dot that faintly lights up, which may be seen by a mammal. Other models of camera traps do use regular flashes, and with those you definitely get inquisitive animals investigating.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'd love to see a photo of what the CWW camera traps look like! Do you happen to have one of those?

Posted

You can see a photo of our camera traps on this blog post here

Posted

• jimfrog67 by jimfrog67

Thanks for the answer and the link!

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Late to the thread here, was just wondering about this after several shots of animals staring into the camera.

One thought is the cameras may make a little noise, such as relays clicking or capacitors whining as they charge up, just before they flash.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

A good question... Will have to wait for Mason or another scientist to answer, however!

Posted

The cameras are completely silent (at least to my own ears), though species with better hearing may be able to pick something up. There is no shutter click noise or noise associated to the flash, just faint red LEDs flashing at night.

Deer are by far our most inquisitive species, and the only ones who are able to fully inspect the camera because of their height. There are quite a few good deer close ups like this one!

enter image description here

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

o hai, deer 😃

Posted