Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

wow busy day!

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

We must be trending on social media, over 30,000 classifications today, most in the last two hours. The completion percentage has jumped from 98% yesterday to 100%. I'm guessing that "100%" means greater than 99.5% complete. So there's a chance that we'll be running out of images soon. Hopefully, we'll get more images in the near future.

Posted

I see we got a mention on the Chicago subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/comments/4dxinm/help_out_chicago_wildlife_watch_by_looking_at/

Posted

We may have run out of images for the moment. The "classify" page is not giving me new images...or a message. I've asked the Zooniverse team to investigate: https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/17/48313

Thanks to all the new classifiers for helping us make it to 100%. Please check back in the near future, we'll likely have more images.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Hi all.

Yep. Those are all of the images for this season. When we started out today we were actually much closer than you think. The reason for this? There were about 10K photos of either nothing or deer that we had put on pause that did not register on the percent complete counter on the home page. When we started CWW, we put a few seasons worth of data that we had classified so that we could determine if species had different success rates of classification (e.g. do we need more users to classify a fox photo than we do a deer photo). I'll be spending some time analyzing the data after my preliminary exams next month, and we hope to get the next batch of data up in June.

Thanks to everyone for their help with the first batch of data, we could not do this project without all of your help!

Mason

Posted

• katayfaya by katayfaya

hurray for scientists doing their work! i'm proud to be of any help I can! hope you get us some more seasons to classify, I'm gonna miss all the raccoony and coyoty business! 😃 Catarina

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

Well done and congratulations. We'll look forward to the new data set!

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Congratulations, and thanks for the opportunity to help and to enjoy not only the images but also the interaction with CWW scientists and with all of the friends I have made while doing this project. See you soon, I hope. Alex

Posted

We will definitely be back up with more data soon, and will hopefully have some more surprises for you throughout the year!

Mason

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Oh no, I missed the last busy day fun run 😦 Nevertheless, congratulations and good luck with the exams, data analysis and modelling 😃 I wonder if there will be some surprises in the data ...

Here's an An Old Irish Blessing to say to all of you at CWW whose friendship I value greatly instead of good bye:

"May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    "

Posted

• buffalogroveP by buffalogroveP

Congrats! I'll be waiting for the more images in June 😃))

Posted

• llehrerlpzoo.org by llehrerlpzoo.org scientist

Thank you so much everyone!
    Liza

Posted

How are things progressing? Any news regarding a new dataset?

Posted

Working on it right now! We hope to have something up later this month. Fingers crossed!

Mason

Posted

Hurrah! Good to know. Patience is our watchword!

Posted

Hi @mason_UWI - My fingers are getting tired of crossing 😄 How goes the battle?

Posted

• ExpatVietnam by ExpatVietnam

Confused -- I got this image today: https://talk.chicagowildlifewatch.org/#/subjects/ACH000000b

Yet there are comments on it from two years ago. How is it still in the list to be classified?

Posted

This is likely a gold standard photo (one that the researchers know what is in or not in it) so we can determine overall accuracy in classifications. Right now all of the classifications on the site are complete so a subset of photos are just up right now so it can still be used by schools. We'll have a new CWW site with new photos to classify soon!

Posted