Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Once you identify an animal, you can't tell there is nothing in the picture

• yshish by yshish

I have noticed a problem.. When you choose a species from the menu and click on the identify button, then figure out it was just an illusion and cancel your choice, there is no way to tell there's nothing present in the picture. The check box for that disappears with clicking on the identify and won't appear again after cancelling your choice.

I'd like to know whether it is recorded as an empty image anyway, or the cancelled ID is considered as valid. (Not sure what exact images they were when this happened to me, but perhaps this one and some of the previous!)

Thanks.

Zuzi

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Wow. You are right, that is really strange! Since you did not click finish I would assume that the tag is not recorded, but that is something that DZM will have to verify.

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to mason_UWI's comment.

I have opened an issue on GH already :] Glad it's not just a display problem on my side..

Edit: Shall I do it again, intentionally, so you could figure out what gets recorded?

Posted

• yshish by yshish

OK, I did it again: ACH0004h8n

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Uhmm, @yshish, you should trust your eyes more! In ACH0004h8n is what looks like a gray squirrel's tail, bottom edge of picture just to the right of centre. So you hit jackpot! Cool 😃

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Good catch, WillowSkye! But @yshish comment is correct - I see that program behavior too. Wonder if it was always that way and we never noticed it?

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to WillowSkye's comment.

I saw it but didn't know what it is.. whether a squirrel or a leaf.. or.. a trash.. So I marked it as a squirrel and then cancelled it and finished the classification to see what the record will say! I considered it as a proper image for my testing :] (Moreover I'm sure someone else will notice that object too and will have to make the same decision.)

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Cool testing 😃 but I think I misunderstood as I thought you were going for images with nothing in them, as you were speaking about illusions. So thought I would give you a prep talk to trust your instincts 😃 , but I missed the point. Oh boy, my English is letting me down in the "understanding" department. Anyway, it's going to be interesting to see what the results of your test will be. I must admit I hadn't noticed this glitch? before.

Posted