Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Pictures surrounding image you're actively classifying

• Ravno by Ravno

Using the technique of playing w/ the last letter / number of a filename to see prior or later pictures from the one you're looking at, Is there a way to either:
    A) See the filename of the image you're currently classifying so you can browse pictures taken immediately before or after the one you're working on? The URL that is displayed while you're actively classifying an image is 'clean'.
    B) Alternatively, is there a way to change your classification of an image after you're submitted it? Since it's very easy to look at an image and see the filename / browse after you've classified it, I could correct my classification based on images immediately before or after if the specific one I'm looking at isn't perfect.

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Some zooniverse projects show multiple shots or even a short video, but CWW is not one of them. I think being able to see some context would be a big help, but I'm guessing it's not in the cards anytime soon for this project. (Other projects may have fewer, but fancier, cameras.)

You can of course get the image URL of what you're currently classifying, but as far as I know, there's no way to go from the image URL to the talk page URL, which is what you're asking for.

Also, it's not really clear exactly what order the talk page URLs are in. Sometimes, it seems like a "higher" URL was shot before, not after, a "lower" URL. Also, it's pretty common to have shots from multiple cameras interleaved, so you'll have a few from one camera, then a few from another, then a few more from the first, and so.

As far as changing the classification, I'm sure the scientists would say that each image gets classified by multiple people, and that generally the majority opinion is reasonably accurate. Some of the comments here and in blog posts have indicated that the split decisions get reviewed by experts, along with some other quality checks.

Bottom line, there's no going back on a classification, which seems to be true of the other zooniverse projects I've looked at. I hope somebody else has picked up on the squirrels, robins, and rabbits I've inadvertently clicked by. hitting "nothing here" a little too fast.

A lot of the fun (?) here at CWW is in identifying the tough cases and mysterious whatsises that come our way. Playing URL roulette can be a big help in determining what you're seeing. I'm still not sure how much figuring out the tough cases helps the overall goals of the project. I'm guessing that 90% to 95% of the images get identified correctly by consensus. The remaining images probably won't make or break the project scientifically. So the main reason for working out the hard cases may be to satisfy one's own Insatiable Curiosity. And hopefully, learning which furry lumps are raccoons and which are opossums will make better classifiers out of us.

Posted

• buffalogroveP by buffalogroveP

I've found that when I'm unsure about a classification I'm making, I can click on the discuss button that comes up with the finished one (before the next image) and then get to the URL to look at surrounding images. Then I can comment or not, and hit the back arrow to get back to my classification -- then change the ID if I decide I was initially wrong -- then hit finished....so you can go back if you don't hit finished right away... hope that helps you. I think I named the buttons right, but you'll see what I mean if you try it.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Hmm. I had no idea that you can do that. Darren, is that possible?

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to buffalogroveP's comment.

It shouldn't be possible what you said, and it doesn't work for me. You get back, but to a finished classification where you are allowed to add new categories, but unable to save them any more. It offers only Discuss and Next image.

Posted

• gzconf1 by gzconf1

No, you definitely should not be able to do that...

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator in response to mfidino@lpzoo.org's comment.

The issue of being able to add or delete classifications after clicking "Finish" but before clicking "Next Capture" has been around since I started here. But when I add a late "Human" classification, the image is still available on the recent page. So it seems like changes after "Finish" aren't processed. The real issue is that the classification buttons continue to function after "Finish", when they should be disabled.

Posted