Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Several new problematic cameras

• escholzia by escholzia

We seem to be into a new set of pics, and I see two cameras that will pose problems for you. First, the one with the view of the lake - I'd say that 75% of those pics have people in the background, so will be classified as "human" and be retired without multiple viewers. Second, the large tree with a view to a walking path and lawn - about half the pics have people walking - again, these will be retired early. Maybe these will still provide info you can use, but in the future, it would be best to exclude views with large numbers of people.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

If there are people way off in the background I would ignore them. I know that it is hard to quantify "way in the background," but if you think that you could not ID a raccoon at that distance than I would probably ignore whatever else is back there as well.

I am not 100% certain on the second site that you are talking about though, if you come across another one of those photos can you provide a link to it?

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

This site: ACH000btsy Hyperactive camera and lots of pedestrians and people nearby in the park.

Posted

Yep. it looks like that camera may have been tampered with (it should be facing downwards). I will look into those photos to see if we can just remove them from the site. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Posted

The camera gets tampered with about two days into the data collection process, then we come in after two weeks and set it up only to have it messed with again. I will send the info along to zooniverse folks and try to get those pulled. I will share one nice photo from that batch, a black-crowned night heron (they are state endangered).

enter image description here

Posted

The photos from this site will be getting removed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Posted