Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

missing thumbnails on "poached" images

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

As in the case of ACH000femh, it seems that if you reach an image by its talk page URL and leave a comment, the thumbnail does not appear under "Recent Object Comments" on the "Recent" page.

"Poaching" images this way often helps with seeing what's actually in another image. Images with a "close" talk page URL are often close in time to each other, for example ACH000femh is close to ACH000femk and clarifies what we're looking at.

I think this is a new problem...

Posted

• buffalogroveP by buffalogroveP

or just newly found problem --- I just started trying @ Forest Preserve's technique of "poaching" -- I did "poach" ACH000femh because I didn't want to search back in my recents --- it was too far back...to illustrate the daytime shot. 😉

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

I think it's new, pretty sure I've commented this way in the past and had the thumbnail and the comment show up as expected. The broken thumbnail issue started just a few days ago. Maybe the changes to human tagging broke something, or it's something about the new large batch of images. Or there's the Bushnell thing.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks for the report, @ForestPreserve ... I'm probably going to pass on this one, as classification seems to be working pretty well now and I've sort of burnt through developer capital for this project for the moment.

That does explain why those thumbnails aren't appearing, at least, but I think that it's "reaching the image by its Talk page URL," but more "finding an image that hasn't been served yet by toying with the URL." That's when those thumbnails don't appear. 😃

We should be able to send over Snapshot Serengeti folks very soon, so I want to keep things generally working well at the moment!

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Will the developers load the recent changes to GitHub (after it recovers from the Chinese DDOS attack, that is)? I'd like to see what they did to fix the problem, and who knows, you may be able to take advantage of some volunteer capital.

Posted