Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

ADDITIONAL ISSUE WITH THE SITE-cannot click Identify button sometimes

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

I'm having a new issue which started yesterday. After I click 1 and not visable I had 2 identify buttons, one on top of the other one. System will not let me click the identify button so I have to get out and start over.

I've received this issue like 15 times now in the last 30 minutes, so it's a real issue. I seem to get it a lot with pictures that have deer in green trees (can't tell you how many deer I've seen and have not been able to mark),but also get it with other images as well. Could someone look into this.

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Bonnie, what operating system and browser are you using? I mostly use Firefox on Windows 7, and I'm not seeing your issue with the two identify buttons.

Ack, I just tried it with Chrome, still on Windows 7 and I'm seeing the "Finish" and "Identify" kind of overlaid, as seen in this image: http://i62.tinypic.com/wrlwmx.jpg

Very disappointing, I had two guys on two riding mowers. I was able to identify the two mowers, then things went downhill. Translucent yellow-orange rectangles start overlaying the image when I try to click "Identify" for the humans. I was able to cancel once or twice and delete the selection for the mowers, but now I'm stuck and can't go back to the list of choices. I am able to add the image with the two mowers to favorites, but nothing is working in terms of identification.

I did a "Save Page As" -> "Webpage, Complete" and can send it along if anyone wants to look.

Maybe the server needs a reboot, but Firefox is still working for me.

Posted

Follow-on to the above, when I reload the page in Chrome, everything is fine again. It seems like I can make one identification plus any number of "nothing here" picks, but when I try to make the second identification, I get the superposition of "Finish" and "Identify" again, and have to reload.

Disappointing for Google fans. I have a pretty generic Chrome installation, only have Ad Block Plus added if I recall.

Posted

One day later, Chrome is working for me.....

Posted

bummer, Chrome stopped working on another test...

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

I'm glad in a way that someone else is having the same issue, I was starting to wonder if I was having a computer, so good to hear it is not just me.
    Hopefully they will figure something out soon.

Posted

• Hi_Coo by Hi_Coo

I use a laptop and have the same issue but I've found that enlarging the page fixes the problem - then just go back to default for the next one.

I use Chrome.

Posted

I tested again today (3/17), and Chrome seems to be working normally after 10+ identifications. No changes or reboots on this end, so maybe something got corrected on the server side.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If this happens one more time, let me know. For now, if it's fixed, I'm okay waiting... Thanks!!

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator in response to Hi_Coo's comment.

Good find, @Hi_Coo. Chrome did act up for me again, on the same browser session I was using previously, but several hours later. A bit of zooming in and out with Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- let me continue classifying.

(To zoom in, hold the Ctrl key and hit the "+" or "=" key one or more times. To zoom out, hold the Ctrl key and hit the "-" key one or more times. Both Chrome and Firefox work this way on Windows.)

Maximizing, minimizing, or resizing the browser window didn't help with the issue, but zooming does.

Posted

• Hi_Coo by Hi_Coo in response to DZM's comment.

Hi, the overlap happened for me again tonight 21:23 UK time, 18 March.

Had to enlarge page to clear it again.

Thanks.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

to DZM: Still an issue. I seem to be able to do about 15-20 when I first start before I get the issue, then after that I start to get it alot more often, sometimes after only 4-5 image. I seem to get it alot when I hit the Car or Deer buttons, may be just random but I do not recall ever getting it when I hit the Skunk button or the Bird button. i never had any of these issues until the last big load of the new 400,000 new images were loaded.

I also just had an issue when I hit the Discuss button to type something there I got a blank screen and no link to the discuss picture area.

I'll work on other projects and check back in a few days to see if the issue has been fixed. Thanks

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Got someone looking into this, but it's going to be tricky until we can replicate it...

It's possible that it was a side condition of activating those Bushnell images. We've deactivated them, so I'd love to know if it's still happening after we cleared that out... ?

Thanks!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, so, we were able to replicate the problem with the overlapping images on Chrome after doing a few IDs, although we find that it resolves if you even change the size of the window slightly. I even managed to get it to resolve just when I unplugged my second monitor so that it refreshed the display.

Still, I managed to illustrate the issue to a dev, who wants to fix it. It will be tricky, but we are on it. May I suggest using a different browser in the meantime?

Thanks!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Right, I think we've got this bug fixed. Anyone still having issues?

Posted

• elfaulkner by elfaulkner

Seems to be working fine now.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

I was in for about 35 minutes and did not have the issue during this time, unfortunately I have the Busnell issue happening. thanks for your efforts on fixing this one.

Posted