Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Are we done with this set??!!

• escholzia by escholzia

Stopped getting pics at 1 PM EST, and entry page shows 99% complete. Are we done with Fall 2013? If so, I'm excited - winter is coming!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

It could be that you classified all the remaining images ! 😄 Well done. I''ve got a couple more to do ! 😄

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Looks like this season is complete! The remaining photos are being uploaded and should take a few days to be available.

Posted

It's weird : The counter says 100% but I'm still getting images to classify. I'm not complaining though !😄

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Probably like with Snapshot Serengeti, some subjects will remain in rotation even after all of the data has been classified, so that the project can still be used for educational purposes and generally looks active. 😃

Glad to hear from @mfidino@lpzoo.org that new data is coming soon!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We're processing data now. We expect some more sometime this week. I'll keep everyone posted!

Posted

• camelsamba by camelsamba

I was going to ask where you were seeing the 100% complete, but i found it. I did get some images this morning, mostly ones I hadn't seen before, but now it has stopped showing them to me. Look forward to the new set!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I heard around the office today that the data has been processed, so it should be soon now!

In the meantime, if you need your camera-trap animal fix, there is still fresh data over at Snapshot Serengeti.

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Serengeti has awesome animals, but I confess after a few hundred pics I couldn't bear to count one more wildebeest! I prefer fewer critters -- it's a challenge to spot them.

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

I like the Serengeti interface better, especially the easier-to-understand behavior options and the playback feature. (Not crazy about the woodgrain background, however.)

I quickly got to what looks like a giraffe hiding behind the African equivalent of Arthur: http://zooniverse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/www.snapshotserengeti.org/subjects/standard/54cfd5eb87ee0404d5072945_1.JPG

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I actually just learned yesterday that Snapshot takes its photos not based on motion, but based on sensing an infrared animal heat signature.

That helps to cut down on plant/wind-activated shots, although sometimes I guess a sunlit plant can still set off the sensor. What sort of sensor does CWW use?

Anyway, I just learned that we have a whopping 800,000 images (all the data that we have for this project), and we're considering releasing the whole batch next... and I think that's 8x as much data as was in the initial deploy. That should keep you all nice and busy for a good long while! 😃

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Our trail cameras use both infrared and motion sensors to capture images.

-Mason

Posted

• buffalogroveP by buffalogroveP

I've been getting a blank page for classifying for the past 3 - 4 days. Does that mean I'm done for this set? When will the new set be ready? Just checking to be sure I'm not having some techy glitch.. don't want to miss any of the fun with new pics 😉

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Same here jpmapd, still nothing. Maybe the 800,000 images are taking a long time to load?

Posted

• buffalogroveP by buffalogroveP

Thanks for the reply, FP - at least I know I'm not the only one.... I think I'm having CWW withdrawal --- maybe I'll check out Serengeti in the meantime 😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I was hoping we'd get something up on Friday, but no luck... I'm going to start badgering the folks responsible on Monday like crazy! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, so here's an update...

It takes a couple hours of work to get any amount of data on the site, so we're going to do it in one big bucketload, rather than a partial one now and then having to do it all over again a little bit later.

The good news is, 100% fresh data, 800,000 images of it, and there won't be another interruption until the whole shebang is finished. How does that sound? 😃

We're shooting for this Friday again, barring any unforseen errors. I'll keep you posted!!

Posted

Wow ! Great news. 😄

Any idea if we can get CWW classifications on our Zooniverse ribbon ?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Just bugged a developer again; he said "will get on it next week." ... I'll try to keep pestering!

Posted