Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Nothing here...

• mamagotcha by mamagotcha

So a huge percentage of mine are "nothing here," but I'm wondering if I'm just missing a ton of critters. How many "nothing here"s are other people seeing?

Posted

• mamagotcha by mamagotcha

Also... would LOVE a single "Nothing here" button... click it and you go straight to the next shot, instead of three separate clicks.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Lots and lots of 'nothing here's for me as well. But if they use the same system as other zooniverse projects, something like 3 classifications of 'nothing here' will get the image retired from the database

Posted

• camelsamba by camelsamba

Mine seem to go in spurts - the first day it seemed like 80% of my images had grey squirrels, the next day 62% were nothing there. And yes, it would be nice if there were fewer clicks to advance!

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

The researchers posted some statistics about what % of images had animals: ](http://www.lpzoo.org/blog/conservation-field-diaries/tag-youre-it) It says that 67% of pics are classified "nothing". What I find is that some cameras are super-sensitive -- the slightest movement of a leaf will set them off. They take a lot of images per motion, so for example, I've seen about 20 different pics of the same pair of athletic shoes running past a camera! Also, a lot of pics are too dark or too light - they may have animals, but unless you're willing to pull the pic into a photo editing program (I'm usually not willing), you won't see anything even if there's an animal there.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Don't forget about the dark mode, if you're having trouble seeing the image!

Sometimes the contrast can make all the difference.

We definitely appreciate people's help in clearing out the junk images! 😃

Posted

• llehrerlpzoo.org by llehrerlpzoo.org scientist

Indeed, we very much appreciate your participation!

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Even with the current two-click method for "nothing here", I sometimes skip over an animal by mistake. You kind of get hypnotized after a long streak of nothing here.

Not sure if a single "nothing here" click would make this problem better or worse, but I'd like to apologize to the squirrels, opossums, raccoons, and rabbits I've missed.

On the other hand, if you spot an animal and click "Identify" twice quickly, you double the order. I've even gotten triples, trying to click "Identify", "Finish", "Next Capture". You can still delete the extra ids before clicking "Finish" or "Next Capture", but I suspect that it may be too late after "Finish". (I'm assuming "Finish" means "commit to database", but not sure why the selection doesn't get greyed out.)

Speaking of mainly nothing, see my 5858 collected images of Arthur, which includes one coyote and maybe a half dozen squirrel visits: http://talk.chicagowildlifewatch.org/#/collections/CCHS000043

Posted