Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Need help?

• dr.whyte by dr.whyte

Please post here if you've got any queries about how to use the site, or if you come across any bugs in the way it works!

Posted

• dercoon by dercoon

Wondering why (or am I missing it)

1. there is no skip button if we just can't ID (or there is no choice of bat)
    2. bike or vehicle seem to be the only non-mammal choices. How about somewhat filled plastic bag blowing by (where's that go, or skip
    3. no zoom feature. It would be of GREAT help

Posted

• octopus.gallery by octopus.gallery

Agreed, a "There's something but I can't for the life of me figure out what" button would be nice. No idea what it would do to your data though.

Also, am I supposed to get image repeats? There's a couple I swear I've seen a bunch of times now, although less so since I decided to create an account.

Posted

• Salty2 by Salty2

I need to be able to pick Snake for a choice! If it's an animal that's not on the list what do I need to do?

Posted

• zthomas1989 by zthomas1989

I just recently marked a picture as a "Grey Fox" but I'm almost 100% sure it was a bobcat. Since there was no option for bobcat I used the grey fox, because I know they are also rare in the area and someone would take notice and make note of it. Bobcat should be added as a button selection. I am from the Chicago area and I know that there have been sightings of these animals recently.

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist in response to zthomas1989's comment.

Hi zthomas! If you back to the "classify" section and click on profile, you can view your recent submissions. From there you either favorite it so that we can see it or you can write a comment on it. That would be great if we did get a bobcat!

Posted

• jaxbaq by jaxbaq

Please add Reptile, Lizard, Other to the choices available. I have a pic of a snake and have no other option than to pick "Nothing here." A NOTES section or the ability to flag a section of a picture would also be helpful.

(http://www.chicagowildlifewatch.org/subjects/540f217d69736d129d695500.jpg) Snake is UR quadrant, entering from top.

Posted

• figmentia by figmentia

Is there a way to enlarge the pictures that I'm missing? Thanks!

Posted

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist in response to figmentia's comment.

Currently the best way to do it is manually on your computer. (CTRL and + for PC, command and = for mac). You can return it back to normal with (CTRL and 0 for PC, or zoom back out with command and - for mac).

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

@figmentia, one way to zoom the image when using Firefox on Windows is to right-click the image and select "View Image". You should get the image by itself, allowing you to zoom in with Ctrl-Plus (hold down "ctrl" and hit the +/= key) and zoom out with Ctrl-Minus (hold "ctrl" and then the minus / underscrore key). You can also drag the image right and left using the elevator bars.

After you make an ID, you use the back arrow to go back to the original page. This usually gets you back to the original image, but I've had it go to a different image a couple of times, oh well.

Alternately, you can right-click and do "Copy Image Location", then open a new tab and paste into the address bar. This allows you to zoom in with no danger of losing the original page.

Posted