Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

What do we do for animals not on the list?

• wensdazechyld by wensdazechyld

Something on a nighttime image I'm looking at... definitely not one of the things from the list. Looks similar to a Pudu. Don't want to put 'nothing there' but don't want to classify it incorrectly either. Any idea what we're supposed to do in this instance?

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

We don't get many pudus, so it's likely either a deer (white-tail) or a coyote. The idea is to take your best guess, then you can "discuss" and share with us. That we get to see the image in question.

It's basically majority rules on the classifications, each image gets classified by multiple users. The project scientists may take a look at cases where there's disagreement.

Posted

• wensdazechyld by wensdazechyld

Yeah this couldn't have been either. Unfortunately the internet went down here and coming back I see all the images are sorted now. I did save the image but obv there's no upload function here so I can't show you. I'm a biologist and know it wasn't a deer or coyote 😃

But thanks for the reply - unnecessary as it is now!

Posted

• nancybohrer by nancybohrer

I'm not sure how long you have been posting. I'm always worried I'll see something not listed and the guidance given here. Nevertheless, I have seen a lot of pet dogs that end up looking like something very different. Enlarging the picture often helps.

Posted