Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

now we have a pizza squirrel

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Yes, it's an adorable pizza squirrel.

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Looks like a fox squirrel, too, unless that is pizza sauce down its front.

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Awww, that is the cutest squirrel I've ever seen 😄 However, I cannot see if that is a slice of pepperoni or tomato - I'm trying to figure the pizza out - Margherita, Regina, Pepperoni??

Posted

• llehrerlpzoo.org by llehrerlpzoo.org scientist

Yes, a fox squirrel! A perfect example of how urban wildlife take advantage of anthropogenic resources!

Posted

Just in case you missed it, we have our own squirrel utilizing anthropogenic resources, which appear to be in the form of baked goods, possibly a slice of pound cake: ACH0007fq3

And there was the incident of the coyote in the cooler a few years back. ("Coyote in cooler Chicago images" gets you quite a few closeups.)

I think these anthropogenic resources (deli foods) may explain the size of some of the animals we've seen. Keep looking for a raccoon with a large container of potato salad.

Posted

While researching the cooler coyote, I found this story, which describes the Cook County Coyote Project. It discusses a coyote known as Big Mama, who spent most of her time in the Schaumburg area, just west of Busse Woods.

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Awww, Big Mama was a beauty! The part I like the most about coyotes are their expressive eyes, especially the one that sat in the Fruit Juice cooler section 😃

The map of Big Mama's family territories is interesting - there is a spot where the parents and children's areas overlap, (red, cyan, green and yellow). Would that be where the children were born?

P.S. I was looking for Pizza Squirrel on Youtube but then found Milkshake Squirrel instead (but that was in New York - hmm, what is in that Milkshake?? Haha 😃 )

Posted

Not sure if the rat in ACH000azdz has a leaf or a potato chip.

Posted

That milkshake squirrel has got game. Probably not its first milkshake.

Posted