Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

more big cat news

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

After the "lion-ish creature" spotted in Milwaukee last summer, we now have a "big cat-type animal" in Highland Park.

(Highland Park is a northern suburb of Chicago. Fans the "The Good Wife" may recall that the Floreks once lived in Highland Park. This would be odd, since Highland Park is in Lake County, but Peter Florek was the Cook County State's Attorney....)

Identifying animals can be tricky, according to the Tribune:

Authorities said the animal control officer got photos of the animal's paw impressions and sent them to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources for help identifying the source of the tracks. Samples of animal waste also are being provided to IDNR, according to police.

"Identifying animal paw prints in the snow is challenging, especially for animals that we don't encounter on a regular basis," said Highland Park Deputy Police Chief Timothy Wilinski, of the decision to consult with state experts.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a CWW camera in the vicinity...and we don't have a "cougar" button either.

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye in response to ForestPreserve's comment.

Yup. You need a Cougar/Mountain Lion button in CWW 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish

😃

Posted

Uh-oh, more breaking Chicago wildlife news, this time reports of a pack of "coywolves" on the northwest side. Keep your poodles safe.

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Wow, coywolves and lions. So, where do you hide the bears (i.e. those much bigger than Die Wasbeer)? 😃

Posted

I actually think Wasbeeren (?) could play better football than Chicago Bears, but that's another story.

Posted