Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Off for the holidays

• mason_UWI by mason_UWI scientist

Hi all!

I'm leaving for Cyprus today and plan on not having any internet connection until I get back in January. Just wanted you to know why you won't see me commenting on the boards for a bit. I'm hoping to see some different types of urban wildlife over there!

Happy Holidays!

Mason

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to mason_UWI's comment.

Hey,

Enjoy your Cyprus holiday, Mason! I'm sorry I was away for so long. I've just came back from my 2-week long fieldwork, but I've left the country again today and will stay abroad until the 4th January. Luckily, I've got a good internet connection here. I can't wait to do some CWW classifications πŸ˜ƒ

Cheers!

Zuzi

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye

Hey Z, you're back, yay! πŸ˜ƒ and M's gone off 😦 but hey, thanks for all the great fun this past year at CWW!

I would like to wish you all at CWW in my home language: GeseΓ«nde Kersfees en 'n Voorspoedige Nuwe Jaar which translated into English means Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

We're currently frying like chickens here in South Africa due to a tremendous drought and heatwaves. So if you like KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), Chicken Licken or Nando's (with hot peri-peri sauce), SA is the place to be. I wonder how's it going in Australia with the kangaroos and wombats? But I do know one thing: Chicago is Cool πŸ˜‰

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Mmmm. Peri-peri sauce! There actually is a Nando's in Chicago. And, Chicago is not cool right now. It is raining hard, and temperature is about 45 degrees F (about 7 degrees C). No chance for snow this Christmas. All I can do is enjoy all of those snow scenes I see here.

Happy holidays to all you CWW folks!

Posted

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Hot sauce, reminds me of hot dogs (as long as your sauce isn't ketchup).

Happy holidays to all CWWers!

Superdawg

(Yes, a CWW camera may be lurking in the background.)

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Superdawg. Superfries. Picnic lunch in Caldwell Woods. Get your picture taken. Life is good.

Posted

So that's what Superdawg looks like - Awesome! πŸ˜ƒ And you've got Nando's - double Awesome! πŸ˜ƒ So KFC you know, Nando's you know but here's Chicken Licken:

For The Love Of The Little Things - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkJ3BICQCA

Sorry that you don't have snow for Christmas, but if you've got supermassive fans, you can maybe propel some of that rain over to this side πŸ˜‰

Posted

• yshish by yshish

Yay, we have some snow in my country, not the place where I am now though.. Here is a picture from my fieldwork πŸ˜ƒ

CR

Merry Christmas!

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Hi Zuzi - What a beautiful photo. May I ask where you are now and what fieldwork you were doing? Happy holidays! Alex

Posted

• abloss by abloss in response to WillowSkye's comment.

Willow - Those little chicken bites in the video look like White Castle burgers here in Chicago. We affectionately call those greasy little things "sliders", which is probably similar to the "slyders" on Chicken Licken's menu. I love them! Cheers!

Posted

Haha πŸ˜ƒ Yes, A, it looks like it's the same. On the Menu there are even "California Coolers" which refer to Cooldrinks and Milkshakes πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• WillowSkye by WillowSkye in response to yshish's comment.

Wow Z that is amazingly beautiful πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to abloss's comment.

Hi Alex,

Thanks. We had a wonderful time there! At this moment, I'm in the most Eastern Slovakia, but my 'fieldwork' was far away from here, on the boarders between Czech republic and Poland, mostly on the Czech side.

Happy holidays to you too!

Z.

Posted

And I'm back! Cyprus was great, I'll be writing a little blog post about urban wildlife there. The island has a lot of feral cats.enter image description here

Posted

Welcome back, Mason, cool picture πŸ˜ƒ I wonder which cat Zuzi, Alex and everybody else would choose, if there was a choice? I like all of them but will probably go for the sitting one to the right πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to WillowSkye's comment.

Yay, welcome back, @mason_UWI πŸ˜ƒ Looking forward to the blog post.

@WillowSkye Hah, I wouldn't like to keep any but they're all co incredibly cute I could watch them all the day/night and the day after again πŸ˜„ (Yeah, I love watching cats too!)

Posted

The cats actually seemed to be the ones doing the choosing. This one hopped onto my lap when I took a knee to snap the previous photo! Don't mind the wild hair, it was windy that day.

enter image description here

Posted

• abloss by abloss

Well, my two cats would disagree, but I would choose the one bottom left.

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to mason_UWI's comment.

Haha, what a Narcissus cat! πŸ˜„ Anyway, it is a great photo!

Posted

Awww, that cat is clever - it knows about selfies or maybe it was Aphrodite in disguise πŸ˜‰

Posted