Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

Helpful enhancements ...

• uoni by uoni

It would be very helpful - at least for me - if there would be some enhancements, like e.g.

• An additional checkbox "can't identify"
    • An option to look at the previous/next picture or even see a consecutive list of pictures from a photo trap (this would eliminate a couple of wild guessings)
    • An option to look at pictures made by the same photo trap (this would help to get a feeling for the setting and to spot changes more easily)

Just a thought ...

Posted

• uoni by uoni

And it would be great to have an option to revise and update the tags - especially if you find a new picture which helps you to identify something tagged some time before ...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey @uoni, welcome to the project! A few answers for you, at least from my perspective:

An additional checkbox "can't identify"

There's a very good reason that we don't do this... we want you to take a guess, no matter what. Guesses are much more helpful than saying "I don't know." This blog from Snapshot Serengeti explains why, and you can also see more on the methodology of disagreeing classifications from the Chicago Wildlife Watch blog.

An option to look at the previous/next picture or even see a
    consecutive list of pictures from a photo trap (this would eliminate a
    couple of wild guessings) An option to look at pictures made by the
    same photo trap (this would help to get a feeling for the setting and
    to spot changes more easily)

We can do this a little bit by manipulating object-page URLs... change "r" to "s" at the end of a URL, for instance, and you're likely to see the next image taken by a camera. It doesn't always work, and it can't be done in the interface itself (only after classifying), but again, we're just looking for best guesses. It might be an interesting feature at some point, but we don't have it right now for any of our animal-ID projects.

And it would be great to have an option to revise and update the tags

• especially if you find a new picture which helps you to identify something tagged some time before ...

You can always go back and add new hashtags, and we certainly encourage you to do so! 😃 But don't worry about classifications. Many people see each image, so anything you miss will be picked up by other folks.

Hope this helps. Thanks for joining us!!

Posted

• nancybohrer by nancybohrer

I just saw a couple of what appeared to be snow plow blades. I marked them as "mowers" as that is as close as you had.

Posted