Chicago Wildlife Watch Talk

"human" identifications still visible

• ForestPreserve by ForestPreserve moderator

Images with a "human" identified can still be seen in several ways.

For example, I tagged volunteers placing a camera in ACH000by11. The talk page for that link correctly shows "human". There are a number of exceptions which mean the image is still visible, however:

1. on the "recent" tab under "recent object comments", human images with comments are visible
    2. on the discussion page, any "human" can be added to a collection, and the original image will be visible in the thumbnail view of the collection
    3. under "Your Profile" -> "Recents" (http://www.chicagowildlifewatch.org/#/profile)

The thumbnails in recent object comments and collections are just scaled for displayed purposes, so you can retrieve the original full-sized image via right-click plus "copy image" or "copy image location" in most browsers.

The thumbnails on "Your Profile" -> "Recents" are actually links to reduced-size versions of the original. You can still retrieve the full-sized image by going to the talk page, adding the image to a collection, then viewing the collection.

Given the large number of images of children in the current batch, it seems like a more airtight system for removing images is in order. I've already identified two locations in the new images based on landmarks or other clues. Several other camera locations feature buildings which could be easily identified. The combination of identifiable locations and identifiable faces is a little concerning.

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

I doubt any laws are being violated by taking pictures of people without their knowledge, even children. Parks are public places, and what I see online is you are allowed to photograph people in public places as long as you aren't being a nuisance. And I don't see it as a particular risk to the children - what would year old pics tell anyone, other than that there are summer camps and soccer fields in the parks, which anyone could find out by driving past? However, it does impinge on privacy, and I would imagine the residents being photographed would not be happy if they found out.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks for putting this list of locations together, @ForestPreserve -- this will be extremely helpful as I try to get a developer to clear these out. You rock!

As @escholzia mentioned, I don't think there aren't any laws that are being broken here. (My classes on journalism law, journalism ethics, and photojournalism drove home exactly what counts as "reasonable expectation of privacy," and this wouldn't apply, any more than it would for a news photographer at a large festival who can't get permission for every person he takes a snapshot of.)

However, I also agree that where it is possible to delete or hide these photos, we absolutely should, not for legal reasons, but just because it's a good thing to do. That was the purpose of the "human" thing in the first place. So I do want to do whatever I can to remove this bug sometime in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I can get attention on it.

Again, this will really help; thank you for putting it together!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, so, here's what we've got...

I think that we've managed to at the very least update the thumbnails so that you can no longer access the full-sized image. Hopefully this at least helps a little. @ForestPreserve ... please let me know if this blocks all ways of accessing the full-sized image!

Apparently, getting the thumbnails to block themselves with the "HUMAN" tag is a much harder task. I'm emphasizing the importance to the developers, but it might be a little while before we can actually get something together.

Please stay posted, and let me know if we've at least solved the full-sized images problem. Thanks!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Got an update last night... devs are hard at work on trying to solve the thumbnail issue!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, we've accomplished step one. We've got it fixed in the Recents view. Next step will be collections and profiles, and then hopefully this will be all set!!

Posted

@DZM, looks like step 1 is good, I'm seeing "human" on the "recent object comments". This is probably 90% of the battle. It does cut down on the fun of busting the camera crews, but oh well.

As far as the legal aspects, I'd note that some jurisdictions (such as the EU) have much stricter privacy standards than here in the US. Even here, Google street view blurs out faces, although no one walking down the street has a "reasonable expectation of privacy". Also, research projects involving humans have increasingly been held to high ethical standards, which includes privacy aspects, well beyond any specific legal requirements. Adhering to the "letter of the law" does not protect against civil lawsuits, bad press, or perhaps worst of all, going viral on social media.

My thinking was that the project correctly recognizes that privacy is a sensitive issue, and the "human" identification option states: "[w]e generally remove images of humans very quickly from the dataset". Clearly the "remove" part of this statement is a little misleading as things have stood up to now.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ForestPreserve's comment.

The developers say that they can't/won't fully delete human-marked images off of the server. So that full-sized image will always be out there somewhere, I guess. But, as you said, the biggest part of the battle is getting the thumbnails blocked.

You're right that we should have done this a long time ago, but dev time is always limited and projects are tough, so I have to pick my battles. This was an important one that had stood for too long, though, so I'm glad it's moving forward! 😃 Hopefully we'll get the last two parts done sometime this week.

Thanks for pressing me on this!

Posted

Thanks DZM, your support is much appreciated.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

Thank you. It is important, especially regarding children.

Posted

• tfmorris by tfmorris

One loophole in the current implementation is photos which have been added to collections, such as this one:

http://talk.chicagowildlifewatch.org/#/collections/CCHS00006a

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We're aware and working on it! 😃 Thanks for the reminder and the heads-up!

Posted